Saturday, November 27, 2010

Another quilling idea



    I think the petals of the flower look like they are embroidered. I saw a picture of flowers in google images which looked like paper embroidery and attempted to reproduce the same effect , I Pinched my  coils in every imaginable way and only ended up disappointed. It so happens that there is a method to how we can get the effect. I chanced upon the tutorial at Alli's blog


    The wings of the dragon fly I made using wheatear technique. I added the dragon fly just to show the similarity in making the petals and the wings.


Wheatear method for the wings.


    For the four wings take four strips and make folds in them as shown. Starting  with one centimeter fold the strips increasing by a centimeter for each fold. Up to seven centimeters.(Six for the smaller two wings)




     Take one strip and make a loop as shown starting with the one centimeter length .



       Then fold the two centimeter length fold over the first one and form a loop and then the three centimeter so on.


         Once you finish looping the whole strip stick the end .(six loops for the smaller wings and seven for the larger).
        


Now apply glue at the folds so that the loops stay in place. That will make one wing of the dragonfly.




       The petals are also made in a similar way, first make a small loop , 




        Loop the strip around the first loop to form more loops each time folding the strip on one side where you are holding( just like wheatears). Be sure to hold all the loops together.




     Once you have finished looping the entire strip ,stick the end of the strip .Don't let go of the coils.




       Flatten the loops by nicely pressing on the side away from your hand,still holding the folds firmly.You can shape the petal a bit.



      Now let go of all the folds that your were holding.You have a beautiful petal. This method  also has a name it is called a vortex.Both the flowers are made using this method and without any quilling tool.






     I think it is beautiful , while I was finishing one flower  this way, it occurred to me that the loops look more like eccentric loops . As a trial I did this flower by first rolling the strip with my needle to make a loose coil . I pulled all the strips to one end and then pinched it and held it firmly after that I pressed the other side flat and then released the coils. And this is the result. 








Thanks for stopping by, Have a great day.

25 comments:

painted princess collection said...

Oh suganthi madam it is amazing you have exactly reproduced the embroidery effect in your quilling. I am very much inspired by your works
anandhi

viji said...

very pretty.
It does seems without gap filled effect. So nice.
viji

Philippa said...

Your petals are great, Suganthi! I tried these vortex coils once before, but they didn't turn out nearly as well as yours. Well done!

Solehah Muhammad said...

hei dear! u know, i always love the simple way u make ur quilling! :)

Creativek(shraddha) said...

This is such a brilliant tutorial and the quilling is just out of this world..kudos to you Suganthi!!

Helen said...

This is beautiful!!! what a unique flowers and thanks for the tutorial.

Leanne said...

WOW!! Simply gorgeous. Thanks for the tutorial. Hope to give it a try someday.

Artes de Nágela said...

It's beautiful. And step by step what you're offering will help many people.
I loved the effect of the petals.
Good weekend!

Ann Martin said...

SO lovely and thank you for showing how you achieved the look of the petals.

Anastasiaw2008@gmail.com said...

Beautifull work Suganthi. The pettels looks so nice!!

Anastasiaw2008@gmail.com said...

Beautiful creation Suganthi

Manasa said...

Extremely beautiful Suganthi....loved it very much...!

Priya Sivaraj said...

Suganthi,you sursprise me everytime i visit your blog..! great work as usual

Unknown said...

Really lovely petals. You did it so nicely. Thanks for sharing!
Suzana

kavitha said...

beautifully come out,,this is on my to do list,...u hav done a great job

Anita Kumar said...

Superb quilling, thanks for sharing !

GreenEarth said...

The pink flowers are simply beautiful!

Creativek(shraddha) said...

Good luck with my candy Suganthi!!

Allycat said...

Absolutely stunning, I do love the embroidered look, thanks for the tutorial and link!

Helen said...

Hi,

I have an award for you on my blog.

Hussena said...

hi ur work is beautifull and i have to say that though i have seen the original tutorial u have explained it in much easier manner so thankks for ur tutorial.

licia politis said...

Suganthi, how exciting to see quillers using my 'Vortex technique'...and what a great set of petals, just divine!!! You have achieved a fantastic effect making the quilling come around in that vortex style....I love it!!!!
Licia Politis

Divya Deepak said...

So talented!!!

Niirmitii Crafts said...

Wow... This is so beautiful... Everyday I learn something new... Thanks to all u amazing Quillers.. :)

Definitely going to try this..

leidyyurani said...

Thankssssss for tutorial!
pili9042